Friday, November 06, 2015

THERE ARE TIMES I FEEL IT IS ENOUGH : RAZA

Courtesy: Indian Express, Written by Vandana Kalra | February 22, 2015 12:00 am

A lot has changed in India now, but I feel artists should still spend some months in Europe for exposure to international art. (Source: Express Photo by Oinam Anand)


















The tiny dot sketched on the blackboard by his teacher to discipline a distracted teenager has multiplied into thousands of bindus painted over several decades. SH Raza has visualised it millions of times but, every time, it is new, says the artist on the eve of his 93rd birthday, which coincides with the opening of an exhibition of his recent work at Vadehra Art Gallery in Delhi. To be followed with solos in Mumbai and Kolkata, the exhibition is an extended celebration of the Padma Vibhushan recipient’s birthday that will begin with cake-cutting and candles at the Sacred Heart Cathedral, which he visits every Sunday.

Three exhibitions across India, with recent work in each. How do you manage being so prolific?

I am very hard working (laughs). With experience, you gather momentum. The exhibition in Delhi is because it is the Capital and I reside here, in Mumbai because I studied at the JJ School of Art, and in Kolkata because it was the culture capital. Each exhibition has 15-20 recent works. I manage to paint 50-60 in a year, it’s what occupies me.

You have titled the Delhi exhibition “Aarambh” (Beginning).

It is the beginning. At least one can hope so; beginning of a new vision, thinking. Since I first began painting the bindu (more than 50 years ago) it has transformed. Like people do Ram jap, I do the same with the bindu, going deeper into the subject. Of course, there are times I feel it is enough, I have said what I wanted to through my work.

After living in France for more than 60 years, you moved to Delhi in 2011. Do you miss France?
I do. I miss the free thinking evident there. Several artists of my generation moved to Europe, FN Souza was in London, Ram Kumar spent some time in France, it was important for exposure. A lot has changed in India now, but I feel artists should still spend some months in Europe for exposure to international art and artists.

Do you miss your wife Janine Mongillat (she passed away in 2002), that companionship?
I miss her a lot. She was a true companion, we spent so many years together, she was my family, my idea of a nice wife.

After shifting to Delhi, do you visit friends more often? Your close associates Ram Kumar and Krishen Khanna are also based here?
I’m in constant touch with friends. Some of them have passed away but others like Akbar Padamsee, I speak to on the phone. Ram Kumar was at my place last week, I often visit him, look at his work, if I like it I say ‘wah wah’, if I don’t, I just keep quiet.
You were at the recent India Art Fair. What were your impressions?
It is a great initiative, but focus is on financial transactions. There was a lot of art, but little good art.



The exhibition at Vadehra Art Gallery, D-40, Defence Colony, is on till March 18. Contact: 24622545

No comments:

Post a Comment